Renovating a Wine Crate

During a bout of serial decluttering, I found an wooden wine crate in the shed being used to store some odd sheets of sandpaper.  I decided that it was far too pretty for that purpose so stole it out and brought it indoors for a makeover.  This was ideal as a project to use some more of my lovely tin of teak coloured varnish, plus during the shed clear out I had also found some decorative wooden mouldings which were crying out for a purpose. 

So first off I gave it a light sanding and pulled out the loose nails in the top.  In a perfect world, I would have been able to line it with burgundy velvet and a little upholstsery padding but it isn’t a perfect world and I don’t have either of those things so  I settled for some burgundy paint which was left over from our hallway. 

I then glued on two of the decorative wood motifs on either short end, because I didn’t have a clamp, I had to glue one and then balance the box on its end with a very large gardening book to provide some weight until the glue set – didn’t look very professional but seemed to do the job!

It took four or five coats of the teak varnish on the outside to build up a decent colour and finish as the original wood was unfinished and so was just soaking it all up for the first couple of coats but I think it was worth the extra effort as the final finish looks really good quality – I’m not sure you really get the full effect in the photograph, but take my word for it.  Or don’t.  You have a mind of your own obviously.

Then just to tidy up the inside edge and to give a nod to the whole lining with velvet plan I did have some burgundy velvet ribbon kicking around so I just glued that around the inside.  The plan for the finished crate is to be the container for my parents Christmas Eve hamper as I won’t be seeing them on Christmas Day this year so it has gone up to the loft to lurk until I’m ready to put it all together. I’ll post photos when I do…

At the same time, I also took care of another sorry looking picture frame, adding the last two decroative wood motifs (lord only knows what I bought them for originally but I am very happy they have a purpose as they were far too pretty to be skulking around in the shed) and lots of coats of – yes you guessed it – teak varnish.  This one has a Christmas plan too, it will be for my in-laws and will contain a picture of all of our kids – it will take about a year to get them all in the same place at the same time so it is worth starting early on this one!

What next… more shed pillaging I think, seems to be some interesting stuff knocking about in there…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

March 2011
M T W T F S S
« Feb   Apr »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
%d bloggers like this: