Renovating a Picture Frame

It was my birthday recently and I was very lucky to receive some lovely presents, plus one very lovely card from my mum and dad.  For some reason, it just tickled me and I thought it was too good to just put away.  The style of it I thought would sit very nicely with my bureau.  So I had a root around in the loft and found an old empty picture frame.  It was quite sorry looking but it was in a pine that was only lightly finished so that made it perfect for my purposes.  It was also quite a lot larger than the card which was good as I thought it would look a lot smarter with a mount around it.

Further rooting around, this time in the shed, yielded a tin of teak coloured satin varnish so a quick sanding down of the frame and about four coats later the frame was ready.  I was happy with this but it still needed the mount and I was all set to pop over to Hobbycraft and get myself some mountboard (through work I am blessed to have a mount board cutter which lets me do lovely bevel edge mounts).  Then I reminded myself that I am supposed to be crafting from scraps and not from stores and so I had a little think and remembered a roll of the wallpaper that hangs behind my bureau which was lurking in the loft.  So back up I scuttled to fetch it.  I cut the mount out with a craft knife but it looked too flat against the card.  So I cut another couple of mount, each 1/2 cm larger than the other, one in the wallpaper and one in a plain white.  Layered together, I think they give it a bit of a lift and make it look much more like a sketch that’s been framed than just a card. 

Anyway, that’s the project for the week, and my tin of teak coloured varnish is still sitting in my kitchen as I loved the effect so much, I’m going to hunt out some other stuff to use it on…

Advertisements

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031